WATER ISLAND, USVI
Water Island, USVI is considered the 4th US Virgin Island and is located right across from the Charlotte Amalie Harbor in St. Thomas. It is the smallest US Virgin Island in size and population and is home to less than 200 full time residents.
Getting to Water Island usually requires a ferry ride from St. Thomas but Sonic Charters can take you there if you’re looking for a private St. Thomas boat rental. Water Island is the perfect place to visit especially if you’re interested in staying in the US Virgin Islands during your day with us. On a calm day, it can easily be incorporated with other stops around St. Thomas and St. John.
Water Island is home to Honeymoon beach which is a beautiful, long, white sand beach with beach chairs and a variety of beach games like horseshoes, corn-hole and ladder-ball. If you get hungry or want to grab a cocktail, there are a few places to eat and grab drinks on the beach such as Heidi’s Honeymoon Grill and Dinghy’s Beach Bar and Grill.
Other fun activities you can enjoy in Water Island include:
- Snorkeling – Discover the enchanting underwater world surrounding Water Island with a snorkeling tour.
- Kayaking – Rent a kayak and explore the calm waters around the island.
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding – Take a leisurely paddle around the island’s tranquil coves and bays.
- Island Tours – Explore the history and culture of Water Island on a guided island tour.
- Fishing – Go on a fishing trip and try to catch local fish like snapper, grouper, and mahi-mahi.
- Scuba Diving – Explore the deeper waters of the island with a scuba diving excursion.
- Sunset Sails – Experience the beautiful Caribbean sunset while sailing on a boat around the island.
- Beach Volleyball – Enjoy a game of beach volleyball at one of the island’s beaches.
- Wildlife Viewing – Observe the island’s native wildlife, including iguanas, pelicans, and sea turtles.
- Relaxation – Unwind and take in the beautiful scenery of Water Island with a beachside massage or yoga class.
There isn’t any hint of a town on Water Island- no hotels, shops or gas stations making it a very quiet, peaceful and beautiful place although it can tend to be a popular hangout when there are multiple cruise ships in St. Thomas. In fact, it’s a great place to check out if you’re in the market for a St. Thomas cruise ship excursion away from all the crowds!